Originally, Saunderton had two manors and two churches. However, St Nicholas' fell into decay and was demolished in 1452, while the remaining church, St Mary's, dating back to 1227, became known as St Mary & St Nicholas.
It is a Grade II* listed building, built on the site of a Roman villa. In 1886 the outer walls began to lean inwards, so most of the building was demolished and rebuilt using, wherever possible, the original materials. As a result much remains of the old structure and fittings.
The Saunderton valley
Detailed photographs of the Aylesbury font
Saunderton War Memorial: Biographies of the WW1 soldiers commemorated there
NB: The church is tucked away along Church Lane, behind to the Cherry Tree Nursing Home.
Aerial map view
|This water colour painting, dated 1860, hangs on the west wall, showing the church interior as it was, with the 13th century Aylesbury font, still in use today. The late medieval bell frame tower with cross braces is probably 15th century, and the current bells were cast on site in the 17th century. The framed armorial picture is dedicated to King Charles (probably the 2nd). The medieval painted floor tiles in the Sanctuary and Vestry are original.
Details of the key-holder are displayed in the porch. The current Saunderton keyholder is Dawn Messer. 01844 344319